Find Us
Facebook link

History

History of Trinity Free ChurchTrinity Free Church really began in the early days of the 19th Century, when a small group of Dissenters started to meet for worship in the upper room of a granary in Grammar School Walk. As their numbers increased they bought the granary, demolished it and built a chapel, the building later housing the County Record Office. Domino Pizza next door was the hall built for the growing Sunday School.

In 1845 another tributary started when Lady Olivia Sparrow, an Anglican, built her own chapel, which also still stands at the junction of George Street and the Ring Road. Because ordained Anglicans were not permitted to minister there she employed a Nonconformist; but when she discovered later that he was administering Holy Communion her Anglican roots were offended and she dismissed him. He and most of the congregation then hired the Literary Institute (the Commemoration Hall) on Sundays and by the 1860’s had a congregation of about 250.

They and the nearly 500 in Grammar School Walk then decided to unite needing larger premises. They bought the Dolphin Inn in the High Street and it’s neighbouring properties, where they built a large mock Gothic chapel, with underground school rooms and a slender spire soaring high above Huntingdon. Sadly, just a hundred years later the spire was found to be unsafe and faced with the considerable cost of either repairing it or demolishing it, the Church moved out to Buttsgrove Way, at the centre of the then town expansion, but did leave for posterity its name in Trinity Place.

Throughout the years Trinity Free Church has responded to the needs of those around it. This continues today as the Church seeks to re-imagine its mission in the 21st Century.

Monthly notice sheet

YC@T thursdays